Sent to George Mason University on August 8, 2007 (a copy was then sent to GMU’s President and Risk Management department)
To: Provost, George Mason University
Dr. Peter Sterns
Dr. Maurice W. Scherrens
cc: IsraPundit and other Web logs
We are writing to you about the “End the Occupation” conference that is scheduled for September 7-10 at George Mason University (http://www.endtheoccupation.org). There are things this organization might not have told you, and that might have affected your decision to allow it to use George Mason University facilities had you known about them. You should be aware that End the Occupation is part of the International Solidarity Movement (aka Palestine Solidarity Movement)./
(1) The ISM says openly that it has direct contacts with Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs) as defined by the U.S. State Department
(2) The ISM says openly that it recruits American college students in the hope of getting them hurt or killed in confrontations with Israeli military forces, for propaganda purposes (e.g. Rachel Corrie).
(3) An ISM affiliate (Al-Awda) have allegedly solicited acts of terroristic violence on the Internet: specifically the suicide bombing of Ariel Sharon’s hospital room.
(4) The ISM has provided “safe house” assistance for actual terrorists.
(1) The International Solidarity Movement has direct contacts with Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, and other terrorists. We direct your attention to “Huwaida Arraf” on the Steering Committee of U.S. Campaign to End the Occupation. Note that this is from their own Web site.
Current Steering Committee members of the US Campaign, followed by the year in which their
terms end, are:
* Huwaida Arraf (2007) - International Solidarity Movement
* Phyllis Bennis (2009) - Institute for Policy Studies
* Felicia Eaves (2009) - Black Voices for Peace
Now we have Huwaida Arraf’s letter to the Washington Post (February 2007)
Eric Adler and Jack Langer disparaged the International Solidarity Movement (ISM), a movement that I co-founded in the spring of 2001 in the occupied territories of the West Bank, the Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem to help draw attention to the human rights abuses suffered by Palestinians as a result of Israel’s occupation. The ISM also is a resource for Palestinian nonviolent resistance to the occupation. The ISM believes that average civilians can bring about change, and it tries to unite Palestinians, Israelis and other people in nonviolent resistance to Israel’s occupation policies.
When I “acknowledged” that the ISM “cooperates with Hamas, the Palestinian Islamic Jihad and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine,” I was offering concrete examples of the ways in which these groups were engaging in nonviolent resistance.
Both the ISM and the Palestine Solidarity Movement advocate nonviolent resistance to Israel’s human rights abuses — the ISM through organized action in the occupied territories and the PSM by promoting international divestment from companies that profit from occupation.
(2) The International Solidarity Movement recruits American college students for the purpose of getting them hurt or killed in confrontations with the Israeli Defense Forces. This is what happened to Evergreen College student Rachel Corrie in March 2003. Two ISM members stated openly that they had a motive for wanting her dead. While GMU students are legal adults, is this an activity to which GMU really wants to expose them?
http://www.standwithus.com/news_post.asp?NPI=85 “Recently, the Director of the Solidarity Movement, George Rishmawi, explained to the San Francisco Chronicle that the recruitment of American student volunteers is useful to the Palestinian Movement because “if some of these foreign volunteers get shot or even killed, then the international media will sit up and take notice.”“
Joseph Smith, who was present when Corrie died and whose highest priority was apparently to take pictures, said (http://www.freepalestinecampaign.org/Stranger%20article.htm) “”The spirit that she died for is worth a life. This idea of resistance, this spirit of resisting this brutal occupying force, is worth anything. And many, many, many Palestinians give their lives for it all the time. So the life of one international, I feel, is more than worth the spirit of resisting oppression.” (Rachel Corrie’s life, as opposed to his own, of course.)
A Hamas terrorist said openly that Rachel Corrie was worth more dead than alive. “‘Her death serves me more than it served her,’ said one activist at a Hamas funeral yesterday. ‘…Her death will bring more attention than the other 2,000 martyrs.’” Making of a Martyr (http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/3-22-2003-37821.asp) by Sandra Jordan, Guardian Newspapers
(3) ISM affiliates (Al-Adwa) have allegedly solicited acts of terroristic violence on the Internet: specifically the suicide bombing of Ariel Sharon’s hospital room.
A member of Al-Awda (Right of Return), an International Solidarity Movement affiliate, allegedly posted a solicitation for a “martyr” to bomb the Hadassah Hospital in Israel, where Ariel Sharon is being treated for a stroke. (This was, incidentally, forwarded to law enforcement when we saw it.)
From: raja chemayel
Mailing-List: list Al-Awda@yahoogroups.com; contact Al-Awdafirstname.lastname@example.org
Delivered-To: mailing list Al-Awda@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 19:35:29 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: [AL-AWDA] open letter to the next Suicide-Bomber
Open letter to
Dear Abou el Fidda’ ,
If you are next Martyr on the waiting list
get started and pack your heavy-stuff ,
kiss the hand of your mother
kiss goodbye you bothers and sisters
kiss the hand of your father
put on that heavy-jacket…….
[specific information deleted for online posting, in case Mr. Sharon is still at the same hospital, although this is more than a year and a half old]
Once you reach that very-well-guarded-room [deleted for online posting]
stop and turn left…..
you will see a large “VIP-Waiting-Hall”
with the many Dignitaries from many countries
including ,unfortunatly, some Arab-countries……
who came to pay their respect to their dying-Hero.
Show again your fake-Press-Card and start
interviewing those “well-wishers”………
and ask them what made this man a Hero ??
and how come he became a “Man of Peace”
Then , order for yourself a cup of coffee,
sit down , rest and think for a while…….
If by then ,
you are still not convinced by the arguments you have heard
from those well wishers…..
then release that detonator !!
This man under intensive care will anyhow die,
with or without your suicide , my brother ,
your real enemies are
those who have called him a “Hero”
and could not convince you why.
( nor me)
8th of Jan.06
(4) The ISM has provided “safe house” assistance for actual terrorists.
http://home.comcast.net/~jat.action/ISM_info.htm “Susan Barclay, the ISM organizer deported by Israel after she hid Islamic Jihad terrorist Shadi Sukiya in the ISM office in Jenin, told the Seattle Post Intelligencer that, “she knowingly worked with representatives from Hamas and Islamic Jihad— terrorist groups that sponsor suicide bombings and exist, according to their charters, to demolish the Jewish state entirely.” (Seattle Post Intelligencer, Thursday March 20, 2003, “Activist’s death focuses spotlight on Mideast struggle,” By Sam Skolnik, Seattle Post-Intelligencer reporter.)
“Days before a British suicide bomber detonated an explosives belt in Mike’s Place, a bar in suburban Tel Aviv, the bomber and an associate took tea with members of the International Solidarity Movement (ISM), a pro-Palestinian group that promotes non-violent resistance to Israeli occupation.”
http://home.comcast.net/~jat.action/ISM_info.htm “The immediate goal of the ISM is to hamper the ability of the IDF to prevent terrorist attacks on civilians.” “The ISM sees itself as working in tandem with the terrorist organizations: Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and Al Aksa Martyrs Brigade. Those organizations use violent means, while the ISM undertakes such aggressive non-violent actions as blocking the progress of Israeli soldiers on their way to arrest terrorists. The intention of the ISM in these actions is to protect terrorists from interference by the IDF.”