For the return of Palestinian refugees
And for the Democratic Secular State in Historic Palestine
Haifa, Al-Midan Theater, 28-30/5/2010
Friday, May 28
We expanded the Friday program to allow the best utilization of the time of the international delegations for networking with local activists and organizations.
10:00 Special interest networking meetings, according to prior coordination: Political parties, Feminist organizations, Religious dialogue, Social science, Physicians for Human Rights, etc.
14:00 Walking tour in Haifa.
14:00 Youth meeting: The role of the Palestinian youth in support of the right of return (Arabic).
16:00 Workshops: Getting to know the participating delegations (in the big hall) + Homage to Haifa (in the small hall).
18:00 Reception: Films, Food
19:00 Opening Session: Key political speakers, Cultural program
Between the speaker: Ghada Karmi, Ilan Pappe, Muhammad Kana’ane and a speaker from the 67 occupied territories. Special greetings from guest delegations from five continents.
Saturday, May 29
09:00 – 10:00 Gathering and registration + Breakfast
10:00 – 10:30 General meeting – Welcome + Distribution to workshops
10:30 – 12:15 Three parallel Workshops
12:30 – 14:15 Three parallel Workshops
14:30 – 15:30 Lunch
15:30 – 17:15 Three parallel Workshops
17:30 – 18:30 Presentation of workshop results in plenum
19:00 – 22:00 Cultural Event
Sunday, May 30
10:00 Trip to the Galilee: The destroyed villages and the unrecognized villages.
10:00 – 15:00 – Consultations for the establishment of an international coalition.
The Themes of the Workshops
The program contains the following workshops:
1. The return of Palestinian refugees: Refugees in their homeland, Planning for the return, Legal views on the right of return and property rights, 62 years of struggle for the return.
2. Different views about the conflict and the road toward Democratic Palestine: Democratic perspective, The Bi-National state proposal, Islamic perspective, Socialist perspective.
3. The political role of Palestinian prisoners’ movement and participation from the prisoners in formulating the conference’s positions.
4. The vision of a democratic secular Palestine.
5. The Democratic solution to the Palestinian cause and the struggle for the future of the Arab World: The Lebanese example, Social and National struggle in Egypt, Confronting imperialist hegemony, Arab Unity,
6. Criticism of Zionist Colonialism and support for the Secular Democratic alternative – Different methodologies: Human Rights, International Law, Struggle and Liberation.
There will be three special workshops for activists to participate in discussing experiences and building together the coalition and the global campaign for the return of the Palestinian refugees and for the democratic secular state:
· Building Palestinians convergence around the program in different locations. Our participation in the resumption of the Palestinian unity in struggle.
· Building an international movement to support this program.
· Building Arab-Jewish partnership in struggle.
Partial list of the workshop speakers
Details of some workshop are still under construction and discussion. Because of technical problems, we are forced to publish a partial list of speakers.
With our full apology and respect for every participant and speaker.
Lawyer Wakeem Wakeem: Refugees in their homeland
Eytan Bronstein: Planning for the return project
Lawyer Suhad Bishara: The legal aspect of the return and property rights
Rajaa Zo’abi ‘Omari: The puzzle of a "single state" option, in view of Regional Settings for a deadlocked global system
Shir Haifr: The economy perspective of one state
Samah Idris: The Lebanese experience
Eli Aminov: A critical comparison between the different solutions of the conflict
Abed Anbetawi: The importance of 'the secularity' in the one state proposal
An Alexander: The working class in Egypt
Omar al Barghuthi: The Democratic vision
Raja Aghbaria: The Democratic Secular state as a political struggle project
Hisham Nafaa': A Socialist approach concerning the conflict and its resolution
Noel Ignatiev: Zionism as an ideology of race.
Willhelm Langthaler: The struggle in the West against Imperialism
Dr. Haidar A'id: The experience of South Africa
Languages: All major discussions will be held in Arabic, Hebrew and English with simultaneous translation.